Spooky Things That Could Haunt the HVAC System This Halloween

Be on the Lookout for These Heating and Cooling Problems

HVAC problems don’t happen overnight. Generally, small signs point to an issue before it warrants emergency attention. Homeowners can take action immediately by knowing the signs of certain HVAC problems. Doing so not only extends the HVAC system’s lifespan, but it can also prevent homeowners from developing health complications.

Some signs that an HVAC system needs professional attention include:

Carbon Monoxide Leaks

Faulty furnaces emit carbon monoxide, which can be dangerous if inhaled excessively. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that over 20,000 people each year suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless gas can remain in a house for days before it’s discovered. When exposed to carbon monoxide, a person may experience “flu-like symptoms,” which may include:

  • Dizziness
  • Upset stomach
  • Vomiting
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion
  • Fatigue
  • Headaches

As a standard practice, all homes should have carbon monoxide detectors. These devices, which look very similar to thermostats, measure how much carbon monoxide is in the home. The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that carbon monoxide readings of one to 70 parts per million (PPM) will likely not affect homeowners’ health.

However, anything beyond that could have detrimental health effects. This makes it paramount for homeowners to install detectors to safeguard their health and well-being.

Mold Growth

Mold thrives in dark, damp environments––where many HVAC systems are located. Mold can also quickly spread to different areas of the home, such as the home’s air ducts and vents. With time, a homeowner can experience mold-related complications that impact their health and home’s habitability.

Homeowners should address mold growth as soon as it happens. Some signs of mold growth include:

  • A musty odor near the furnace
  • Respiratory problems, such as coughing and sneezing
  • Damp clothing and bedding
  • Black splotches around vents
  • Peeling paint or wallpaper

Some people attempt to pour bleach on mold and call it a day. Yet, that’s only a temporary solution. Mold removal needs the insight of a trained remediation specialist. Not only can they remove already-growing mold, but they can prevent mold from returning.

Overheating Furnaces

Furnaces are meant to generate heat. However, these appliances can cause furnace fires when they reach certain temperatures. These fires can destroy homes in a matter of minutes. This makes it imperative for homeowners to recognize the signs of an overheating furnace. Some symptoms include:

  • Humming noises coming from the heater
  • Burning smells
  • Excessive indoor temperatures
  • Limited airflow
  • A furnace that won’t turn on

An overheating furnace may require a new air filter. This helps the heater “breathe” and circulate warm air throughout the home. However, if a homeowner experiences any of these signs and have recently changed the air filter, they should consult a professional. Otherwise, they risk a house fire––among various health concerns.

About Air Comfort Service, Inc.

Air Comfort Service, Inc. understands the importance of a functioning heater. They offer 24/7 services to those living in St. Peters, MO. With over 57 years of service (and countless five-star reviews), these professionals provide comprehensive home improvement services to those in the area. For more information about their HVAC system services, homeowners can call today.