What Does Insulation Do?
Ensuring your home is insulated correctly is an effective way to reduce heating and cooling costs and enhance comfort throughout the changing seasons. How does insulation work? Insulation provides a resistant thermal barrier that blocks heat from entering your home in summer and prevents heat flow out of your home during the winter. This way, you will experience fewer drafts and temperature fluctuations, leading to a more pleasant living environment. The St. Louis insulation experts from Air Comfort Service, Inc. provide an in-depth overview of the insulation process, including how it works and the benefits it offers homeowners and businesses.
How Does Insulation Work?
Fiberglass and cellulose insulation are two common materials used to insulate buildings and improve their energy efficiency. How does insulation work? They work by reducing heat transfer through conduction, convection, and radiation. Here is how each of the insulation types works:
- Fiberglass insulation: Fiberglass comprises fine strands of glass fibers. These fibers are typically bound together with a binder. Fiberglass insulation reduces heat transfer by conduction, which is the direct transfer of heat through a material. The tiny air pockets between the glass fibers trap air and slow down the movement of heat, making it difficult for heat to pass through the insulation material. It also inhibits heat transfer by convection, which is air circulation within a space. The trapped air pockets reduce air movement, preventing the circulation of warm and cold air.
- Cellulose insulation: Cellulose insulation uses recycled paper products, such as newspapers, cardboard, or other cellulose-based materials. The cellulose fibers are treated with fire-retardant chemicals such as borax, boric acid, sodium borate, and ammonium sulfate. When installed correctly, cellulose insulation creates a physical barrier over the area applied that reduces heat transfer through conduction. The densely packed cellulose fibers slow down the flow of heat through the material’s structure. The insulation also reduces heat transfer by convection, as the dense fibers impede air movement.
Air Comfort Service, Inc is an expert in both cellulose and fiberglass insulation solutions in St. Louis. If you are looking to optimize your home’s energy efficiency and comfort, consult with our knowledgeable team.
Why People Have Insulation Installed
Here are some of the benefits of insulating your home:
- Lower energy bills: Insulation helps to create a thermal barrier that prevents heat from escaping during the winter and entering during the hot summer days. As a result, your HVAC system will not be forced to work too hard to maintain a comfortable temperature, leading to significant energy savings.
- Improved comfort: Proper insulation creates a more consistent and comfortable indoor environment. It helps maintain a stable indoor temperature so you won’t experience extreme temperature fluctuations. It helps keep your home in the greater St. Louis area cozy and comfortable year-round.
- Improved indoor air quality: Sealing gaps and cracks in your home’s envelope prevents the infiltration of outdoor pollutants, allergens, and dust. Ultimately, it results in cleaner and healthier indoor air, which is particularly beneficial for individuals with allergies or respiratory issues.
- Reduced noise pollution: Insulation can act as a sound barrier, reducing noise transmission from the outside. Insulating your home can be a valuable way to create a quieter and more peaceful living environment if you live in a noisy neighborhood, near a busy street, or have loud neighbors.
- Increased home value: Today’s buyers, especially in the greater St. Louis area, are increasingly looking for energy-efficient houses with lower operating costs. A well-insulated home in St. Louis and surrounding areas is often more attractive to potential buyers. Such homes command a higher resale value compared to under-insulated properties.
Benefits of Professional Insulation Installation
Since insulation is a vital component of a home’s energy efficiency and comfort, it is essential to ensure proper installation. This is why you should leave the entire installation process to the experts. At Air Comfort Service, Inc, our licensed technicians have the training, experience, and tools needed to get your insulation installed correctly and safely. We will assess your specific insulation needs and recommend the right type and amount of insulation for your house or building. Get in touch with us today for all your insulation installation needs in St. Louis.
Insulation Services in St. Louis
Properly installed insulation can significantly improve your home’s comfort and energy efficiency by reducing heat loss or gain. If you are considering insulating your house or building in St. Louis, it is advisable to hire experienced professionals to ensure the job is done right.
At Air Comfort Service, Inc, we proudly offer insulation services that transform your home or business into a more comfortable and energy-efficient space. Our experienced technicians are experienced in the latest insulation technologies and installation techniques. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.